Celebrating outstanding alumni
Dalhousie is proud to celebrate its outstanding alumni. For nearly two centuries they have been helping to make the world a better place through their professional successes, volunteerism, innovation and leadership. Each year, the Dalhousie Alumni Association (DAA) honours members of the Dalhousie community with awards to celebrate these notable achievements and the diverse ways that alumni contribute to the university and to society.
Do you know Dalhousie alumni who deserve to be recognized?
- The A. Gordon Archibald Award was established in 1989 and recognizes alumni for volunteerism to Dalhousie.
- The Christopher J. Coulter Award, established in 2006, recognizes young graduates for success or interesting, unusual or innovative accomplishments in career, community service or personal life.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award, also established in 2006, recognizes alumni for outstanding accomplishments in career and community service.
- The Excellence in Teaching Award recognizes a Dalhousie professor who, in the eyes of his or her students and peers, has displayed the qualities of superior teaching, enthusiasm for the subject, and interest in the needs of students. (Please note that the Centre for Learning and Teaching administers this award separately, including criteria and requirements. The deadline for applications for the Excellence in Teaching Award is December 15, 2012.)
At the time of nomination, nominee must:
- Be an alumnus/a of Dalhousie
- Be living
- Not be serving on the Dalhousie Board of Governors or the Dalhousie Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Not be a sitting member of a municipal, provincial or federal government
While awards are normally not awarded to current faculty or staff, the selection committee may consider an individual with a post-retirement, non-continuing, part-time appointment, the nature of which does not involve that individual in the day-to-day administration of the university.
How to nominate someone for an alumni award:
Nominations are now closed as of February 15, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. Thanks to all who participated in making a nomination! The Award Criteria [PDF 349KB] and Nomination Form [PDF 113KB] are available for your reference.
For more information on the awards, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902.494.6857 (toll free: 1.800.565.9969).