Celebrating outstanding alumni
Dalhousie is proud to celebrate its outstanding alumni. For nearly two centuries they have been helping to make the world a better place through their professional successes, volunteerism, innovation and leadership. Each year, the Dalhousie Alumni Association (DAA) honours members of the Dalhousie community with awards to celebrate these notable achievements and the diverse ways that alumni contribute to the university and to society.
“It’s a great way to recognize someone for their achievements. The Alumni Office was very supportive throughout the process.”
- Eric Brown, Alumni Award nominator
Do you know Dalhousie alumni who deserve to be recognized?
- The A. Gordon Archibald Award recognizes alumni for volunteerism to Dalhousie.
- The Christopher J. Coulter Award recognizes alumni age 40 or under for success or interesting, unusual or innovative accomplishments in career, community service or personal life.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes alumni for outstanding accomplishments in career and community service.
- The Volunteerism Award recognizes extraordinary alumni whose volunteer efforts have established or greatly supported an important local, regional, national, or global program.
- The Award of Excellence for Teaching recognizes a Dalhousie professor who, in the eyes of his or her students and peers, has displayed the qualities of superior teaching, enthusiasm for the subject, and interest in the needs of students. (Please note that the Centre for Learning and Teaching administers this award separately, including criteria and requirements.)
At the time of nomination, nominee must:
- Be an alumnus/a of Dalhousie
- Be living
- Not be serving on the Dalhousie Board of Governors or the Dalhousie Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Not be a sitting member of a municipal, provincial or federal government
While awards are normally not awarded to current faculty or staff, the selection committee may consider an individual with a post-retirement, non-continuing, part-time appointment, the nature of which does not involve that individual in the day-to-day administration of the university. Also view the criteria for each award.
How to nominate someone for an alumni award:
1) Review the 2015 Dalhousie Alumni Association Awards criteria
2) Complete the 2015 Dalhousie Alumni Association Awards nomination form
3) Submit your completed nomination form by:
Post: Dalhousie University Office of External Relations
c/o Alice Ridgway, DAA Awards
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
Note: Nominators do not need to be alumni of Dalhousie, nor do references.
Deadline: The nomination period will close on February 15, 2015. All nominations must be emailed or postmarked by 11:59 p.m. (AST) on February 15.
For more information on nominations, or to ask specific questions, please call 902 494-6857 (toll free 1.800.565.9969) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.